Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Platypus Diaries Part #5

This is the fifth entry in the diary of my pregnancy. Because it would amount to many pages of reading to cover September through to the present day in one post, I've broken this up into readable bits. Here is part five:


Platypus Diaries #5

December 2, 2009
I’m officially at 17 weeks. This pregnancy is going so much faster than the last. Is that really possible?

I’ve told work and some of my customers, but not all of them. I thought I was hiding it well as I am still able to fit into my suits. Granted, the buttons are under serious strain, but heck, I consider it a success that I can still button them at all.
However, someone asked me today if I was expecting. That’s a mighty bold and dangerous thing to do and I realize I’m not hiding anything. I’d better start telling people.


December 8, 2009
This pregnancy comes with different food cravings. Last time I was mad for sweets and this time it’s a salt obsession. We can’t keep enough pickles in the house. Don’t judge me on this, but when I eat all the pickles, I find myself drinking the brine.

Sorry, did that admission make you feel sick?

My regular lunchtime sandwich consists of pastrami, cream cheese, and pickles. I think that would normally not sound appealing to me.

Could this craving for salt determine something about the child’s gender?

I searched the internet and found a 50 question quiz regarding symptoms and old wives tales to help determine the sex of the child. Indeed, it did have questions about sweet and salty cravings, so I knew we were onto something.

I took the quiz.

I hit the button to reveal the sex of my child.

It took a moment to process the results.

This is what it read…




“Congratulations, the chance of you having a boy is 50% and the chance of you having a girl is 50%”



December 16, 2009
20 week scan and final ultrasound was done today. Baby, you were in the perfect position to tell us whether you are a boy or girl. But Daddy and Mommy chose not to know. We loved the surprise so much last time that we are a bit addicted to it. Yes, it would be easier to pick out all blue or all pink baby items. Yes, it would be easier to focus on one name instead of two…but we have decided that we aren’t meant to know and we shall save it for the day you are born.
We did however have the ultrasound doctor write down your gender on a note card and seal it up. We are going to carry that card with us to Minnesota and offer it to the grandparents if they would like to see. Grandma Tjossem wants to make a quilt in the proper colors (your sisters is yellow and blue), so I imagine she will be happy to find out.

December 27, 2010
My friend KP got married last night. She was the one with whom I shared a great adventure to Bali. When we went to Bali, I was 12 weeks pregnant with Madden. As you can see from the photo, I'm not hiding anything this time around either.
Congratulations beautiful Kathy. I wish you a future of happiness and love.



January 6, 2010
By the way, grandma wouldn’t open the card. She knew that she couldn’t keep a secret from us.

1 comment:

AKS said...

Dear Neighbor Baby No. 2:

We can't wait to meet you! I'm glad that one day you will be able to read this blog and see the rather strange things that your mom ate while pregnant with you. Drinking the brine from the pickle jar made me a little queasy, but you apparently love it! You have so much to look forward to! Your parents are fantastic and your sister will no doubt be the best big sister that you could hope for. Of course, you will also have very caring and loving next door neighbors : ) For now, we hope you continue to grow in your mommy's tummy until your big debut!

We love you already,

Brandon and Anna Sullivan

P.S. Try not to be too stubborn in your entry to this world - it really is a pretty fun and beautiful place.